Everything You Need to Know About Plautilla NelliAugust 2, 2021
Sister Plautilla was a Florentine nun and artist who lived in 16th century Italy. After centuries of neglect, her work is finally being rediscovered, and she is the earliest known female painter from Florence. In the Italian Renaissance,...
The Art of Mihrab – Little Masterpieces of Islamic ArtJuly 22, 2021
What is a mihrab (miḥrāb)? It’s a typically semi-circular niche in a mosque. It’s usually inserted in the center of a Quibla wall, the wall which points towards Mecca, the holy direction of Muslim prayers. With time, mihrabs turned...
Everything You Should Know About Islamic ArtJuly 19, 2021
Bright colorful mosaics, stunning arches, amazing constructions in the middle of the desert, beautifully ornate calligraphy, incredible rock crystal goblets, refined metalwork are just a few of the Islamic art wonders that have fascinated for centuries. They are...
Masterpiece of the Week: Mithras Slaying the BullJuly 18, 2021
Mithras Slaying the Bull is a compilation of the entire religious and symbolic images of Mithraism. It reflects promised immortality and personal salvation. It helps followers seek inner peace and cosmic redemption. It helps souls’ journeys through the...
A Tale of Revenge and Justice: The Oresteia in PaintingsJuly 13, 2021
Marcus Aurelius, the last of the five good Roman emperors once wrote: “The best way to avenge yourself is not to become as they are” (Meditations 6.6). When one reads Aeschylus’ well-known trilogy, Oresteia, it will become clear...
When in Mexico: Mysterious and Beautiful Flower Crowned Nun PortraitsJuly 5, 2021
Gambol into the lobby of most Mexican hotels, or visit any antique store in Mexico, and you’re bound to find a portrait of an 18th or 19th-century nun wearing a crown of flowers. Who is she? What does...
Why is St Sebastian a Gay Icon?June 6, 2021
One may think that Christian saints have little in common with gay culture, but there is an exception to every rule. If you see a handsome guy in his early twenties perforated by arrows, you know it’s St...
- The Summer Feels So Far Away! – Ten Beaches in Art
- How to Show Music in Paintings? Best Depictions of Music in Art
- Gustav Klimt’s Lost and Found Viennese Beauty – Lady with Fan
- Alphonse Mucha: Art Nouveau Visionary at North Carolina Museum of Art
- All You Need to Know About the Lascaux Cave
- CHEAP: When Art Meets Activism – Interview with the Co-founder Sara Manfredi
- Paintings in the Movie “The Accountant”
- Everything You Must Know About All Michelangelo’s Pietàs
- Met Gala: When Art Meets High Fashion on the Beige Carpet (2021 Update!)
- The Hidden Meanings of Nature in Čiurlionis’ Paintings