Russian Winter in Konstantin Korovin’s EyesDecember 20, 2018
If one thinks of winter in Russia, one usually imagines loads of snow, fur hats, and hip flasks filled with some warming drink… What was winter like to one of the most famous Russian Impressionists, Konstantin Korovin (1861–1939)?...
Scent of Orange in the Wintery Air: Portraits with OrangesDecember 17, 2018
What does winter smell to you like? For me, it’s the scent of cinnamon-spiced gingerbread, mulled wine, and of course mandarins. My grandma used to make Christmas decorations by spiking oranges with cloves, turning them into pomander balls....
Harvest Home. Five Most Beautiful Depictions of Harvest in ArtNovember 5, 2018
The leaves are falling here in Wales. The last of the fruit and veg is being taken in, and the nights are getting darker. In the pagan calendar, both Autumn Equinox and Samhain have passed. This is the...
The Fantasy World of Giuseppe Arcimboldo’s PortraitsJuly 5, 2018
Mannerism was a style in European art that was full of weirdness and exaggeration. Sophistication and artificiality were its second name. It favoured compositional tension and instability. It favoured everything that was as far from Renaissance balance and clarity...
Start The Summer With Salvador DalíJune 21, 2018
Summer is officially on! If you’re still looking for a beach where to show your artsy bikini, or a Picasso-like beach body, maybe you’ll be tempted to start the summer with Salvador Dalí and his wife Gala, to...
Famous Autumn Paintings Created by Famous ArtistsNovember 13, 2017
Autumn in is the full swing. As Warsaw, where I am now, is pretty gloomy and grey, I really need to look at beautiful and colorful autumn paintings created by famous artists to stay sane. From Claude Monet to David Hockney here...
If You’re Searching For A Path…October 18, 2017
I have recently come across a tiny little poem by a Bulgarian poet, Blaga Dimitrova: Grass “I’m not afraid They’ll stamp me flat Grass stamped flat Soon becomes a path…” Sometimes it’s difficult to be yourself and go...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball Center