A Lesson in Illustration – The Whimsical Characters of Beatrix PotterMarch 25, 2019
Beatrix Potter, best known for the charming tale of Peter Rabbit, inspired the minds of budding young novelists and illustrators alike. Her most distinguishable artistic traits are well known to be the whimsical anthropomorphism that her stories surround. Stories involving...
See a Man About a Dog. Dogs in PaintingsMarch 6, 2019
The title sentence is one of the charming English euphemisms, usually used to apologize for one’s imminent departure or absence—generally to conceal one’s true purpose, such as going to use the toilet or going to buy a drink....
2019: Year of the Pig and Pigs in PaintingJanuary 4, 2019
According to the Chinese zodiac, 2019 is the year closing the twelve-year lunar calendar cycle. It’s named after the Pig because according to the mythology, it was the last guest to arrive when the Jade Emperor (i.e. first god) or...
The Lady with the DogNovember 20, 2018
The Lady with The Dog is the title I borrowed from Chekhov’s short story. It is a story of an affair, yet in art the dog quite often has been a symbol of fidelity. As you will also...
‘I’m sick of Portraits’ – Gainsborough and his dogs’ portraitsOctober 13, 2018
Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788) was a portrait and landscape painter. During his career, he often painted dogs accompanying his sitters. Always making sure that the dogs are not only a prop, but they also ooze personality. It is a...
Every Dog Has Its Day…October 4, 2018
No one will ever be as happy to see you coming back home as your dog. As they are always with us they do deserve their place in art. And they certainly have it, not only as companions...
Tsuguharu Foujita: The Cat MasterJuly 27, 2018
There are many artists who can be called cat-lovers but only one can be called the master of cats. Léonard Tsuguharu Foujita was a Japanese–French painter and printmaker born in Tokyo, Japan, who applied Japanese ink techniques to Western-style...
- The Black And White World Of Felix Vallotton’s Prints
- Kandinsky’s World of Russian Fairy Tales
- Autumn Moon In Japanese Woodblock Prints
- When Romanticism Meets Eruptions: Volcanoes in Paintings
- The Hudson River School: Celebrating Nature, American-Style
- Painting of the Week: Giotto, Ognissanti Madonna
- The Best of Leda And A Swan Paintings
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Open to Influences – Arthur Hacker and his Mary with Many Qualities
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)