Famous Lobsters in ArtApril 7, 2021
Lobsters, large marine crustaceans, have been eaten by humans since prehistoric times. They became a delicacy by the Roman period. They were also popular among the Moche people of Peru. Historically, lobsters weren’t a very common subject of...
A Hero and Mythical Creatures: Famous Spiders in ArtApril 6, 2021
Spiders disturb the majority of the people. Even though they are much smaller, and thus much less powerful than us, we cannot help but fear their presence. Perhaps it is the horrid looks that do not fit our...
Why Was Matisse Obsessed With Goldfish?April 6, 2021
Goldfish here, goldfish there, in a bowl, in a tank, on a table, by the window, goldfish everywhere. Having been looking at Henri Matisse’s work recently, I realized there was a period in which Matisse was obsessed with...
Franz Marc: The Painter Who Loved HorsesApril 5, 2021
The German Expressionist movement had many faces. One of the most interesting of them was that of the painter Franz Marc. Marc looked to the natural world as an antidote to modern life, from which he felt increasingly alienated....
Painting of the Week: Jan Asselijn, Threatened SwanFebruary 28, 2021
Swans are normally characterized as graceful birds. They are magnificent and majestic. However, Jan Asselijn displays another side of these elegant birds. In Threatened Swan, we witness the fierce, protective, and powerful nature of motherhood. Yet, we are...
Craving a Pandemic Puppy? See Dogs in Modern Art!January 26, 2021
One of the phenomena that developed in the last 12 months is that of ‘pandemic puppy’. If you took one we hope you are happy together! But if you have no way of taking a dog, join us...
Dog Breeds in Famous PaintingsNovember 20, 2020
When we see a dog in a painting, we always try to guess which breed it is. Motivated by this curiosity we have selected some works that show representations of different breeds of dogs in famous paintings. Additionally,...
- Mothers in Art: DailyArt’s Celebration of Mother’s Day
- Aubrey Beardsley: Sharp Blacks and Whites of the Victorian Era
- The Stunning Botanical Art of Barbara Regina Dietzsch
- 5 Swedish Pioneering Female Photographers You Should Get to Know
- Artemisia Gentileschi: The Rape Survivor And Her Revenge
- Wronged Royal Wives – British Scandal and Heartbreak Through the Centuries
- Janet Sobel: the Forgotten Female Artist Who Influenced Jackson Pollock
- Six Wives Of Henry VIII in Portraits
- Zdzisław Beksiński’s Passion for Music
- May the 4th Be with You—Archetypes in Star Wars and Art