Greek Mythological Creatures that Combine Female Beauty and Beastly Ugliness
Can You Spot the Cat? Cats Hidden in Famous PaintingsAugust 4, 2020
I like cats and I’m sure that many of you do too. A fascinating animal, the cat has earned itself an important place in culture, literature, and art. Artists gave it a rich variety of symbolic meanings. However, at...
Tsuguharu Foujita: The Cat MasterAugust 3, 2020
While there are many artists who can be called cat-lovers, only one can be called the master of cats. Léonard Tsuguharu Foujita was a Japanese–French painter and printmaker born in Tokyo, Japan. He applied Japanese ink techniques to...
What is a Wunderkammer? Best Cabinets of CuriositiesJuly 6, 2020
The characteristic of arousing surprise for the observer is typical for the so-called Wunderkammer or Cabinet of Curiosities. These are real rooms of wonders where, in an undifferentiated mix of art and science, of naturalia and artificialia, the...
Dachshunds in ArtJuly 5, 2020
Dachshunds were first bred around the 15th century in Germany. Their primary purpose was to hunt small animals, particularly badgers, and they are sometimes referred to as badger hounds. Although most dachshunds now probably live a more sedentary...
The Lady with the DogJuly 4, 2020
The Lady with the Dog is a title that I borrowed from Chekhov’s short story. It is a story of an affair, however, in art the dog quite often has been a symbol of fidelity. As you will...
Jeff Koons and His Balloon DogsJuly 3, 2020
What do Jeff Koons, Jay Z, Christie’s, and clowns have in common? Balloon dogs! Read how an artwork looking like a huge toy hit USD 58.4m at a Christie’s auction becoming one of the most expensive artworks by...
Max Ernst and Birds: A Relationship Explained Through PaintingsJuly 2, 2020
Max Ernst (1891–1976) was a prolific German avant-garde artist. He was a pioneer in the early 20th century movements of Dada and Surrealism and developed a number of inventive artistic techniques. Ernst had the ability to make the...
- 11 Things You Might Not Know About Leonardo Da Vinci
- Edward Hopper’s Drawings That Will Blow Your Mind
- Here Be Medieval Dragons
- The Forgotten Couturier Elsa Schiaparelli: Surrealism, Art and Revolutionary Fashion
- HERE: Black in Rembrandt’s Time. Rembrandthuis Decolonizes
- Famous Autumn Paintings Created by Famous Artists
- Fifty Shades of Dr. Pozzi
- Autumn Atmosphere in the Paintings of Paul Klee
- Where Is Van Gogh’s Biggest Art Collection Outside of Amsterdam? In the Kröller-Müller Museum!
- Botero and His Characteristic Chubby Style: Boterism