The Monumental Paintings of Lucian FreudJune 5, 2019
The paintings in the Lucian Freud: Monumental exhibition in Acquavella Gallery on the Upper East Side in New York City are monumental in many ways, and the catalogue that accompanies the exhibition feels monumental as well. Freud originally...
The Genius Experience: Leonardo and Warhol at the Crypt of San SepolcroJune 4, 2019
Two protagonists of their respective eras, the Renaissance genius and the father of pop art, collide together in Milan, despite four centuries of distance, in an immersive journey. During 2019, various events and activities are being held to...
How British was Van Gogh?June 1, 2019
The exhibition Van Gogh and Britain at the Tate Britain brings together over 50 works by Vincent van Gogh to reveal how he was inspired by Britain and how he in turn inspired British artists. The starting point...
Discover South American Artists in MnBA, Rio de JaneiroMay 30, 2019
As the third piece in our series, I present my favorite paintings from the Museu Nacional de Belas Artes (MnBA) of Rio de Janeiro. There are works by Brazilian as well as European masters. The most interesting to...
Artistic Life in the Time of the Bonapartes. Ingres at Palazzo RealeMay 29, 2019
An artist impossible to classify, a revolutionary one, both realistic and mannerist, perceived as the heir of Raphael and a precursor of Picasso. Somewhere in between the master of beautiful forms and the master of no-form, Ingres at...
Edvard Munch: Love and Angst in British MuseumMay 23, 2019
“We do not want pretty pictures to be hung on drawing-room walls. We want… an art that arrests and engages. An art of one’s innermost heart.” – Edvard Munch British Museum in cooperation with Munch Museum in Oslo...
Lubaina Himid’s Dinner Service at the V&AMay 14, 2019
In 2017, Lubaina Himid won the Turner Prize (and she was the oldest winner ever, aged 63!). Ten years before she presented her work Swallow Hard: The Lancaster Dinner Service at the Judges’ Lodgings in Lancaster, which from...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art