All the Fun of the Fair: Carousels, Roundabouts, and Merry-Go-Rounds in ArtJuly 16, 2021
Carousels, roundabouts, and Merry-Go-Rounds have a long history documented in art, stemming back to the time of the crusades. It was used as a method of training for combat, with riders galloping in circles throwing balls at one...
On the Tracks of the Gunter Demnig’s Stumbling StonesJuly 9, 2021
“There must be a Jew buried here” – this was a phrase commonly uttered by some Germans before World War II, when they stumbled over a stone in the German capital. It speaks volumes about the Anti-Semitism of...
The Grand Tour: Everything You Need to KnowJuly 6, 2021
Nowadays, it is very common to take a gap year before or after university studies. You travel to expand your horizons. Dedicating a year or two before committing to a full-time job means you can experience different cultures,...
Behold Dibutades, the Greek Inventress of Painting!July 6, 2021
Long ago in the city of Corinth in Ancient Greece, a young maid traced the contour of her lover’s face on the wall. The man was leaving on a long trip. So, she figured out a way to...
Masterpiece of the Week: “Queen Mother Idia of Benin”July 4, 2021
Africa is a beautiful continent filled with sweeping landscapes and mighty rivers. Its history is filled with great kingdoms and large empires. Its artistic legacy first began within its deep prehistory and stretches across the millennia towards the...
Heels Were Never Just For Women: Men in HeelsJune 30, 2021
What do the Persians, Louis XIV, and Johnny Cash have in common? Their heeled footwear. Quite appropriate as heeled shoes were originated, and worn, by men for centuries, something that surprises many people. My art history students tend...
- Art from Horror Movies: Japanese Woodblocks of Tsukioka Yoshitoshi
- Masterpiece of the Week: Mithras Slaying the Bull
- Artistic Patronage of Akbar the Great
- 14 Famous “Vogue” Covers Created by Famous Artists
- Four Women Impressionists You Shouldn’t Forget
- Diego Rivera’s Life in Self-Portraits
- Barbara Hepworth: Sculptor of Archaic Wonders
- Painting Of The Week – John Everett Millais, Ophelia
- This Article Is Only About Cheese in Painting
- Cincinnati Art Museum Staff Picks