In Good Company at Bonhams – An Exhibition of Fine Indian Paintings in London
Romeo and Juliet of the East: Laila and MajnunDecember 18, 2019
Laila and Qays are the Romeo and Juliet of the East. The tragic tale of these ill-fated lovers has been widely featured in Asian and Middle Eastern folklore. The story of their unconsummated love has been told many...
Ardhanarishvara – Androgynous Portrayal of Shiva and ParvatiDecember 5, 2019
The composite form of Shiva and his consort, Shakti (another name for Parvati) is known as the Ardhanarishvara or the ‘God who is half-woman’. While the mythos of the Ardhanarishvara appeared in early Puranic scriptures, the concept and...
10 Beautiful Kimono from the Victoria & Albert Museum CollectionNovember 15, 2019
Victoria and Albert Museum in London is one of the leading museums focusing on art and design. It’s special for me due to the vast range of their collection, excluding no material or technique. V&A collects everything from...
Iconography of GaneshNovember 12, 2019
Ganesh is the patron God of writers and intellectuals, and arguably the most well-known of the Hindu Gods. He is worshipped across all sects of Hindus and also by Buddhists and Jains. Mantras and rituals dedicated to Ganesh are...
Company School – Transition to Indian Modern ArtNovember 7, 2019
Painting in rich Mughal and Rajput styles, the court painters shifted their renderings to the demanded adjustments of British East India Company thereby having projected a palpable change in the map of Indian art. The shift occurred during...
The Peacock Throne of Shah JahanNovember 4, 2019
The iconic Peacock Throne or the Takht-i-taus was the greatest accumulation of precious gemstones in the 17th Century. Commissioned in 1628 by Shah Jahan, this exquisite artifact serves as yet another reminder of the extravagant Mughal era. Although the coveted...
The Festival of Diwali Through ArtOctober 26, 2019
Diwali or Deepawali is an ancient festival and arguably the most important of all Hindu holidays. It is the third day of a five-day-long celebration that also includes the Hindu New Year. Diwali falls on the night of the...
- How Many Paintings From Louvre Shown On This Video Can You Recognize?
- Everything You Should Know About Orientalism
- Top 7 Summer Destinations (From Art)
- Welcome to the Wonderful Circus of Dame Laura Knight!
- ALL Louvre Masterpieces From Beyonce & Jay-Z’s ‘APES**T’ Video Explained
- Representation vs Reality: Artists Portrayed in Midnight in Paris. Part I
- Abstraction In Creation – Watch Gerhard Richter At Work
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Pablo Picasso And His Women
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)