Aubrey Beardsley at Shapero Rare Books: An Interview with Expert, Roddy Newlands
May Alcott, an Artist Born Under a Lucky StarJune 5, 2021
Abigail May Alcott Nieriker was the real Amy March from Little Women. However, she was so much more than an inspiration. Born under a lucky star, she earned praise from the toughest art critics. Moreover, she fought for...
Lili Elbe – The First Transgender Female ArtistJune 4, 2021
Lili Elbe – born Einar Wegener – was a Danish landscape painter of the early 20th century who later in life became a transgender woman. She was married to Gerda Wegener, a successful art deco illustrator and painter...
Scrimshaw: True American ArtJune 4, 2021
Despite the enormity of whales, those pursuing them could go weeks, even months at a time without seeing a single one. With all that time between hunts, sailors needed something to occupy their hands with. From boredom was...
Art Treasures from the African Kingdom of BeninJune 2, 2021
Today we’ll go back in time to the 1500s when the wealth of the Benin Empire (in contemporary Nigeria) was at its peak: when Europeans traded with spices, palm kernels, gum, brass, bronze, ivory, shells, and arms; when...
Venice in the Eyes of Claude MonetMay 27, 2021
Claude Monet fell in love with Venice the first time he saw it. He was 68 years old, and he went on a trip with his wife, Alice Hoschedé. The light and colors of Venice seduced the painter,...
Mary Cassatt: The Story of the American ImpressionistMay 22, 2021
Mary Cassatt was an American painter and printmaker who developed her skills by studying, working, and living in France. She was one of only three women Impressionist painters, and the only American to fully integrate into Impressionism. Despite her...
The Divine Sarah: Sarah Bernhardt, The First Artist SuperstarMay 18, 2021
While we are all familiar with celebrity culture and can recognize all of the Kardashians by their silhouettes, the idea of ‘celebrity’ is not a new one. In the 19th century, a notorious French actress, who became known as...
- 10 Times When Egon Schiele Mastered Hip Hop Hand Gestures
- How to Show Music in Paintings? Best Depictions of Music in Art
- 10 Female Artists Forgotten By Art History
- Painting of the Week: Claude Raguet Hirst, A Gentleman’s Table
- Mary Cassatt: The Story of the American Impressionist
- 10 Great Women Sculptors You Should Know
- The Masterpiece of the Week: Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright
- 10 of the Most Famous Female Artist Self-Portraits
- The Most Important Day! Wedding Inspiration in Art
- True Tips for a Happier Life from the Miniatures of Reza Abbasi