Faces of Mozambique: How Malangatana Reflected His Native Culture in ArtOctober 14, 2021
One of the most prominent African artists of the 20th century, Malangatana was a multitalented artist who had many dreams. He realized them with his art, with the murals he painted on the streets of Mozambique and the...
5 Things You Should Know About Johannes VermeerOctober 13, 2021
Johannes Vermeer was a Dutch painter who lived and worked in the Dutch Golden Age. Along with Rembrandt and Frans Hals, he is considered one of the most important representatives of Dutch Baroque. But little is known about...
Biggest Art Heists in HistoryOctober 12, 2021
Movies on thefts and art heists are making huge box office hits for their great action and wit. However, even if real art heists have been sometimes as spectacular as those on the big screen, the repercussions for...
Paintings at the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI)October 11, 2021
Exhibition review of "Stretching the Canvas: Eight Decades of Native Painting" at the George Gustav Heye Center of the National Museum of the American Indian
5 Positive Effects of Art on Mental HealthOctober 10, 2021
It is scientifically proven that art can have positive effects on our mood and can help improve our mental health. But what is it about art that gives it the power to help us so? 1. Creativity in...
Masterpiece of the Week: Jacob Isaacsz van Swanenburgh, Aeneas Taken by the Sibyl to the UnderworldOctober 10, 2021
Aeneas Taken by the Sibyl to the Underworld is one of only 11 known surviving works by Jacob Isaacsz van Swanenburgh. It is a rare gem of late Renaissance and early Baroque painting which does not gloss over...
Why Is the New Paris Bourse de Commerce Museum Worth Visiting?October 9, 2021
As of May 2021, Paris now has a new art museum to call its own. Located only 500 meters from the Louvre, the Bourse de Commerce Museum is dedicated to contemporary art and holds French billionaire François Pinault’s...
- Suffered a Break-up? See This Art
- A Perfect World of Perfect Women in James Tissot’s Paintings
- The Dutch Master of Selfies: Rembrandt’s 6 Magnificent Self-Portraits
- Keeping up with the Boys: Abstract Expressionist Helen Frankenthaler
- Painting Of The Week: Caravaggio, Saint John the Baptist
- 5 Things You Should Know About Johannes Vermeer
- Faces of Mozambique: How Malangatana Reflected His Native Culture in Art
- Female vs. Male Gaze: Suzanne Valadon’s Reclining Nude
- Paula Rego and Other Strong Women
- 4 Artists Who Suffered from Mental Illness (and How It Affected Their Art)