Stories By Howard Schwartz
The Amazing Flesh of Chaim Soutine-See the Soutine Exhibition at the Jewish MuseumMay 5, 2018
‘Flesh’ in this context means animal flesh. Beef carcasses. Fowl. It also means dead fish. Photographs do not do these paintings justice. The thickness and thinness of the application of the paint needs to be experienced...
The Ups and Downs of the Museo de Arte Moderno in Cartagena, ColombiaApril 30, 2018
The weather was hot, about 90 degrees. The sun was wet and blinding. Men on the street were selling water for a dollar a bottle. Other men were selling sombreros, and were persistent about it, going...
Museums And Exhibitions
How I Fell in Love with the BarnesApril 6, 2018
The Barnes Foundation is quietly situated in the heart of Philadelphia, close to the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, adjacent to the Free Library, part of the ‘Museums District.’ I visited the Barnes on March 19, which, by...
- 5 Paintings By Piet Mondrian You Wouldn’t Believe Were His
- Artemisia Gentileschi: The Rape Survivor And Her Revenge
- Why Is St Sebastian A Gay Icon?
- Nazi-looted Cézanne Painting To Be Shown In Switzerland
- Painting of the Week: Claude Monet, Meules
- Rembrandt And His Saddest Love Story
- 15 Cats in Art History Every Cat Lover Would Love
- The Great Art Robbery…Foiled
- Edward Burne-Jones a Pre-Raphaelite Visionary
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)