Stories By Guest Profile
Crossing the Sword Bridge. Sir Lancelot of the Lake in Medieval ArtJuly 5, 2019
The 12th century saw the rise of secular literature centred on heroes. Courtly poetry and prose took up themes of love and chivalry. These stories were the popular culture of the time, Sir Lancelot of the...
Art State of Mind
10 Facts about The Last Supper by Leonardo You Should KnowJune 28, 2019
The legendary 15th century painter Leonardo da Vinci has an impressive legacy of artwork that leaves people astonished and awestruck even today. The maestro has left behind a huge number of artworks and sculptures that played a...
Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball CenterJune 15, 2019
Let’s play a game: pick up any magazine from a U.S. newsstand and count how many people of color are featured. Now try playing with a magazine from the 1950’s. Depending on which magazine you chose,...
Gentle Giant in the River. Medieval Representations of Saint ChristopherMay 21, 2019
In 1904, an extensive report made for the British Archaeological Association revealed that in England there were more wall paintings of Saint Christopher than of any other saint. However, this gentle giant of a man was...
A House of Their Own: The Red Rose GirlsMay 18, 2019
In an old house in Philadelphia at the turn of the twentieth century, four women made their home and their art together. Three decades before Virginia Woolf’s seminal essay A Room of One’s Own was published,...
Discovering Camelot: Arthurian Art in PolandApril 12, 2019
1887 saw a significant discovery in the field of medieval art, though at the time nobody, not even the discoverer himself, was aware of the real value of his find. The discoverer was one Wilhelm Klose,...
- These 4 Cutest Joshua Reynolds’ Children Will Make You Miss Childhood
- I love you, Pumpkin!
- Venice In The Eyes Of Claude Monet
- 10 National Museum in Warsaw Highlights You Need to Know
- Vermeer’s Desperate Housewives
- 10 of the Most Famous Female Artist Self-Portraits
- 15 Things You May Not Know About The Night Watch by Rembrandt
- Plague in Art: 10 Paintings You Should Know in the Times of Coronavirus
- 4 Artists Who Suffered from Mental Illness (and How It Affected Their Art)
- Kiyohara Yukinobu: Sublime Female Painter of the Kano School