Arenig School. Wild Bohemians and Welsh MountainsFebruary 19, 2019
A rollicking adventure with the Arenig School of automatic painting starring Augustus John, James Dickson Innes and Derwent Lees. Arenig Fawr is a majestic mountain in Snowdonia in Wales. Between 1911 and 1913 three unconventional artists lived and...
2019: Year of the Pig and Pigs in PaintingJanuary 4, 2019
According to the Chinese zodiac, 2019 is the year closing the twelve-year lunar calendar cycle. It’s named after the Pig because according to the mythology, it was the last guest to arrive when the Jade Emperor (i.e. first god) or...
Russian Winter in Konstantin Korovin’s EyesDecember 20, 2018
If one thinks of winter in Russia, one usually imagines loads of snow, fur hats, and hip flasks filled with some warming drink… What was winter like to one of the most famous Russian Impressionists, Konstantin Korovin (1861–1939)?...
Scent of Orange in the Wintery Air: Portraits with OrangesDecember 17, 2018
What does winter smell to you like? For me, it’s the scent of cinnamon-spiced gingerbread, mulled wine, and of course mandarins. My grandma used to make Christmas decorations by spiking oranges with cloves, turning them into pomander balls....
The Lady with the DogNovember 20, 2018
The Lady with The Dog is the title I borrowed from Chekhov’s short story. It is a story of an affair, yet in art the dog quite often has been a symbol of fidelity. As you will also...
Harvest Home. Five Most Beautiful Depictions of Harvest in ArtNovember 5, 2018
The leaves are falling here in Wales. The last of the fruit and veg is being taken in, and the nights are getting darker. In the pagan calendar, both Autumn Equinox and Samhain have passed. This is the...
‘I’m sick of Portraits’ – Gainsborough and his dogs’ portraitsOctober 13, 2018
Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788) was a portrait and landscape painter. During his career, he often painted dogs accompanying his sitters. Always making sure that the dogs are not only a prop, but they also ooze personality. It is a...
- A Hero and Mythical Creatures: Famous Spiders in Art
- 12 Famous Funeral Paintings of Western Art
- Are You Into Illusions? Oops, It’s Op Art again!
- James McNeill Whistler, Portrait of Artist’s Mother (Painting Of The Week)
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Dive Into The World Of Alexander Calder’s Circus
- Picnic Time! Best Picnic Inspirations From Art
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness