50 Shades Of Dr. PozziJune 2, 2018
There he is, on a portrait painted by John Singer Sargent – Dr. Pozzi, a dandy, gynecologist and notorious womanizer. Extremely handsome, if he lived in the 20th century for sure he would become a celebrity. Standing in...
Five Things Everyone Should Know About The VictoriansMay 28, 2018
What do we think of when we ponder the Victorian era? I for one almost always think of steam trains, the Victoria & Albert Museum, Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper, Charles Dickens, pea-soupers (thick London fog), public libraries,...
Power And Propaganda – The British Royal PortraitsMay 21, 2018
Royal portraiture is a centuries old tradition, but it might be called the forerunner of the posed selfie – an artfully curated image which is meant to promote and aggrandise the subject. Painted portraits have historically been the...
Visit Eugène Delacroix Exhibition At The Louvre With Mr. BacchusMay 11, 2018
Eugène Delacroix (1798-1863) The early 19th century is a period when France is going through historical changes on all fronts. The anger of the people roars, the streets of Paris tremble and bleed, the Arts are transforming, and...
War, What Is It Good For? Absolutely Nothing! A Protest Art StoryMay 10, 2018
The following article could contain a depiction of violence. It’s intended only for mature audiences. From Guernica to Vietnam: a protest art story Points awarded to anyone who recognizes that the lyric in the title is from the...
Educating Through Art: What We Can Learn From Frederick Schiller’s WritingsMay 3, 2018
Why Art? Any form of Art is devoted to (providing) joy, and there is not any higher and not any more serious duty than to make the human beings happy. With this quote, Frederick Schiller makes a statement...
Let’s Sing Praises to Song Dynasty Genius Artist Ma YuanApril 18, 2018
There’s more to the paintings of Ma Yuan than meets the eye. Ma Yuan, (1160-1225) was a Southern Song Dynasty, Chinese painter from an illustrious family of academy artists. He lived during a cultural zenith when Chinese achievements...
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir, The Theatre Box
- 5 Reasons To Visit Kröller-Müller Museum
- Paul Gauguin, The Vision after the Sermon
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Unicorn Tapestries – Allegory Of Christ, Or A Happy Husband?
- Top 5 Zeus’ Lovers and Their Crazy Stories
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Elizabeth Nourse: “Unquestionably The Premier Woman Artiste of America”
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- A Tribute to Sister Wendy Beckett – Art Historian, Nun, and TV Personality