Painting Of The Week: Kamal-ol-Molk And The Perfection Of The Mirror HallJune 17, 2018
Have you heard of the Iranian painter Kamal-ol-Molk? This is the name by which the artist Mohammad Ghaffari, who excelled in the production of watercolors, became well-known. He received this name directly from the Shah of Persia Naser...
Qi Baishi, China’s Master of the Ordinary in an Extraordinary WayMay 26, 2018
Qi Baishi, is probably the most unlikely person to become one of the highest valued artists in the world, right next to Andy Warhol and Picasso, but he is. It’s been sixty-one years since his death in 1957...
Let’s Sing Praises to Song Dynasty Genius Artist Ma YuanApril 18, 2018
There’s more to the paintings of Ma Yuan than meets the eye. Ma Yuan, (1160-1225) was a Southern Song Dynasty, Chinese painter from an illustrious family of academy artists. He lived during a cultural zenith when Chinese achievements...
Meet Kun Can – Chinese Artist, One Of The “Four Great Monk Painters”March 29, 2018
A Chinese painter and Buddhist monk who lived 1612-1674, Kun Can was known as one of the ‘Four Great Monk Painters’ of the early Qing Dynasty. As a youth Kun Can studied the classics and prepared himself for...
Peek Into The Court: Stunning Qajar PortraitsJanuary 19, 2018
I’m sure you’re well acquainted with European royal portraiture. But have you ever seen portraits of rulers from beyond Europe? I want to show you a stunning example from Persia, contemporary Iran. Time for Qajar portraits of Fath...
Meet Persian Leonardo – BihzadNovember 17, 2017
Mainstream art history often brushes off the artists who do not originate from Western Europe and North America. The masterpiece ‘canon’ barely includes any non-western art, and all the Old Masters are European, too. At DailyArtDaily we want...
The Art of Mihrab – little masterpieces of Islamic artOctober 11, 2017
What is a mihrab? It’s a typically semi-circular niche in the mosque. It’s usually inserted in the centre of the Quibla wall, the wall which points towards Mecca, the holy direction of Muslim prayer. With time, mihrabs turned from...
- The Story of Vincent van Gogh’s Bedroom And Its Three Versions
- Kandinsky’s World of Russian Fairy Tales
- Why Babies in Medieval Paintings Look Like Ugly Old Men
- Power And Propaganda – The British Royal Portraits
- 7 Van Gogh’s Extraordinary Paintings You’ve Probably Never Seen
- Pablo Picasso And His Women
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- The Mystery of Vincent Van Gogh’s Death
- How To Do 21st Century Grand Tour according to Mr. Bacchus