Art Critic From NY
Heavenly Bodies Spring To Life In New York’s Metropolitan Museum Of Art
Grant Wood And His Wry Sense of HumorJune 14, 2018
By the time you read this, the Grant Wood exhibit in the Whitney Museum in New York City will be over. ‘American Gothic’ will be heading back to its home, the Art Institute of Chicago. Why did I...
Picasso Sighting in New York City—He’s Mowing his LawnJune 7, 2018
I looked across the street and saw Pablo Picasso mowing his lawn. He was ten feet tall. He was inside a fence, which was unusual, and the expression on his face, with both eyes bulging and a look...
Georgia in Hawaii – The 1939 Voyage for Pineapples and Artistic FreedomMay 25, 2018
Georgia O’Keeffe traveled to Hawaii for three months in 1939, leaving on January 30 and returning in April. She was not on vacation, even though she may as well have been. She had been commissioned by the Dole...
An Auction for the Ages: The Art Collection of Peggy and David RockefellerMay 7, 2018
Peggy and David Rockefeller were able to dine in their dining room and gaze at Edouard Manet’s ‘La plage à marée basse’ between mouthfuls of food. They did this for decades. Then, when the urge struck them to...
The Amazing Flesh of Chaim Soutine-See the Soutine Exhibition at the Jewish MuseumMay 5, 2018
‘Flesh’ in this context means animal flesh. Beef carcasses. Fowl. It also means dead fish. Photographs do not do these paintings justice. The thickness and thinness of the application of the paint needs to be experienced in person,...
How I Fell in Love with the BarnesApril 6, 2018
The Barnes Foundation is quietly situated in the heart of Philadelphia, close to the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, adjacent to the Free Library, part of the ‘Museums District.’ I visited the Barnes on March 19, which, by coincidence, was...
- The Story of Vincent van Gogh’s Bedroom And Its Three Versions
- Kandinsky’s World of Russian Fairy Tales
- Why Babies in Medieval Paintings Look Like Ugly Old Men
- Power And Propaganda – The British Royal Portraits
- 7 Van Gogh’s Extraordinary Paintings You’ve Probably Never Seen
- Pablo Picasso And His Women
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- The Mystery of Vincent Van Gogh’s Death
- Odilon Redon’s Noir World Of Darkness