Watteau and the Mysteries of RococoDecember 13, 2017
Who was Watteau, one of the most well-known Rococo painters? There are very few documented facts about his life, which make his life and thus his art all the more mysterious. Are you ready for Watteau and the mysteries...
Farinelli- The Best Castrato In PortraitsNovember 20, 2017
What does ‘castrato’ mean? ‘Castrati’ (ital.pl) were male singers who had been castrated before puberty to retain the so-called ‘voce bianca’, that is unmutated voice, which therefore was neither female (soprano/alto), nor male (tenore/basso). They were most common...
Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun And The Women In Her PortraitsNovember 7, 2017
Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun and the women in her portraits is a famous reference to every art-lover. The French painter – also known as Madame Lebrun – is considered to have placed her style somewhere between that of a Rococo...
William Hogarth – Marriage à-la-modeOctober 17, 2017
The 18th century British painter William Hogarth created an insightful series of paintings about the arranged marriages of his times, entitled Marriage à-la-mode. William Hogarth – Marriage à-la-mode – takes us into the unholy world of love affairs...
Big Mr Sunshine: Portraits of Louis XIVOctober 3, 2017
September is a month of Louis XIV: he was born on the 5th and died on the 1st September. He was definitely a great arts patron but sadly a ‘slightly’ less great king. However, that didn’t stop him to...
Meet Madame de Pompadour, The Queen of Arts in PortraitsSeptember 16, 2017
Elvis Presley’s famous hairstyle was called after her, a French champagne glass is believed to have been modelled after her breast, and according to the legend, the ‘marquise cut’ diamond was commissioned to resemble the shape of her...
The Story Of Two Casanova Brothers, Who Happened To Be PaintersSeptember 13, 2017
When we hear Casanova we think of Giacomo the famous adventurer, who in his autobiography, Histoire de ma vie (Story of My Life) described often complicated and elaborate affairs with women that his name is now synonymous with “womanizer”....
- Watch Kandinsky Drawing On A Rare Footage From 1926
- Legend of Proserpine by Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- All We Know About Cezanne’s Fruits
- So Bad That It’s Good: 5 Of The Worst Artworks Restorations!
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- How To Tackle Art With Kids: Try Some Philosophy!
- Let’s Sing Praises to Song Dynasty Genius Artist Ma Yuan
- 7 Surprising Masterpieces From J. Paul Getty Museum That Will Blow Your Mind
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art
- Selfie-feminism, the Sad Girl Theory and the Sad Girls of Instagram