Egypt and Berlin’s Icon: The Bust of Queen NefertitiOctober 16, 2018
The bust of Queen Nefertiti housed in Berlin’s Neues Museum is one of Ancient Egypt’s most famous works of art. A prime example of ancient artistry, this icon has been called “the most beautiful woman in the world”....
Some Things to Know about the Ancient Greek Stylistic PeriodsOctober 3, 2018
There are four general Ancient Greek stylistic periods. Different, note-worthy styles, influences from invading cultures and their lasting effects on the art of Ancient Greece characterize each period. *Below is a generalization of the major Ancient Greek stylistic periods.*...
Persephone and the Pomegranate: Art in Ancient GreeceSeptember 24, 2018
How has a simple, yet beautiful fruit, been the centre of attention throughout history? The pomegranate is symbolic in many cultures and religions, not just art in Ancient Greece. But for the purpose of this post, the intersection...
The Parthenon Mythology and ArchitectureSeptember 17, 2018
Mythology is a pretty broad topic in Ancient Greek history. And even more so is the use of mythological figures in Ancient Greek art. From pottery to sculptures, we can see that the Ancient Greeks were inspired by...
The A to Z of Ancient Greek Pottery Terms Pt 1September 8, 2018
In Ancient Greece, vases were a commonplace item. There was no explanation needed as to what they were or how they were used. They each served a different purpose; likewise, there were many Ancient Greek pottery terms to...
4 Ways To Decipher Non-Greeks And Greeks In Ancient Greek PotteryAugust 22, 2018
There is a plethora of Ancient Greek pottery pieces to dive into when discussing Ancient Greece and Ancient Greek citizens. Similarly, there is a lot of imagery and depictions of the Greeks in comparison to who they felt...
Bronzed, Beaten And Bleeding: The Boxer At RestAugust 4, 2018
Coming face-to-face with a piece of art you’ve loved for years is a thrilling, exciting and often times overwhelming experience. Such was the case for me on my recent trip to Rome, when I visited the Palazzo Massimo...
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir, The Theatre Box
- 5 Reasons To Visit Kröller-Müller Museum
- Paul Gauguin, The Vision after the Sermon
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Unicorn Tapestries – Allegory Of Christ, Or A Happy Husband?
- Top 5 Zeus’ Lovers and Their Crazy Stories
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Elizabeth Nourse: “Unquestionably The Premier Woman Artiste of America”
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- A Tribute to Sister Wendy Beckett – Art Historian, Nun, and TV Personality