Lee Miller – Photographing the ExtremesMarch 12, 2019
Lee Miller (1907-1977) was a model, a fashion photographer, a war photographer, a muse and a gourmet cook. She lived the life to the fullest with all its bright and many dark sides. Always striving for independence and...
Carnivalesque Man Ray and His MasksJanuary 29, 2019
Since the carnival is officially on, I thought of writing an article about masks. The first artist that comes to mind if one says ‘masks’ is James Ensor, so if you feel like reading about eerie atmosphere and...
Leonor Fini: I’m Not A Muse, I’m An ArtistJanuary 24, 2019
Leonor Fini didn’t agree with Andre Breton about the role of women in art: the father of Surrealism saw women solely as muses inspiring male genius, whereas Leonor reckoned, and proved with her art, that women can become...
Lee Miller And Surrealism In BritainAugust 7, 2018
In the delightfully quirky Hepworth Wakefield, in West Yorkshire, is a quiet exhibition that packs a whole range of mad surrealism in three galleries. What was particularly exciting about this was the fact that the lead practitioner in...
Start The Summer With Salvador DalíJune 21, 2018
Summer is officially on! If you’re still looking for a beach where to show your artsy bikini, or a Picasso-like beach body, maybe you’ll be tempted to start the summer with Salvador Dalí and his wife Gala, to...
What Was It Like In The Roaring Twenties in Art and Fashion?May 15, 2018
The Roaring Twenties were a period during which many things changed – both socially and politically. The dramatic economic growth of the decade led many Americans to adopt a totally different, more affluent lifestyle unknown to most people...
Free as a Bird – Max Ernst, Lop Lop and The Art of ChanceMay 4, 2018
The unconscious mind can serve as a revealing personal landscape. Feeding our dreams, shaping our personalities and informing our behaviour; the hidden aspects of the self ultimately determine the waking other. Surrealism was the moment when the mind...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Best Bums in Art History
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness