Seven Haunting Town Paintings by Egon SchieleJuly 2, 2018
Austrian artist Egon Schiele is best known for his shamelessly erotic and frank representations of the human form. But alongside his startlingly revealing portraits and raw nude studies lie haunting journeys into fragile existence via town paintings and landscapes. His expressive, vulnerable...
Misunderstood Music, Forbidden Romance and Richard Gerstl’s ArtMay 22, 2018
When an avant-garde composer and painter becomes friends with an avant-garde painter, their relationship will be a stormy one. And if the wife of one of them becomes involved, things will get even more complicated… This is a...
Edvard Munch and The Frieze of LifeMay 17, 2018
By 1902, Edvard Munch’s life had seen a pattern of chaos within his professional life, his health and his love life. While his life had become solitary, his artwork was not destined to remain stacked against the walls,...
Life And The Human Condition Through The Eyes Of Oswaldo GuayasamínMay 9, 2018
Early Life and Works Oswaldo Guayasamín was born into a humble family in Quito, Ecuador on July 6, 1919, as the oldest of 10 siblings. His father was an indigenous Quechua man who worked as a tractor driver, while...
Franz Marc – The Painter Who Loved HorsesMarch 5, 2018
German Expressionist movement had many faces. But one of the most interesting one was the one of Franz Marc. Marc looked to the natural world as an antidote to modern life, from which he felt increasingly alienated. This is...
Paula Modersohn-Becker: The Unknown ExpressionistFebruary 1, 2018
Some time ago, while writing an article about moustaches in paintings, I came across a fascinating German Expressionist who was not part of the famous Die Brucke group. All the more, this painter was a woman which in...
Jackson Pollock: The Face Of Abstract ExpressionismJanuary 28, 2018
A man walks on his creation, a fragmentary and chaotic creation. But it is an elaborate, creative and almost romantic chaos. He’s in love with his canvas. This man is Jackson Pollock. Jackson Pollock’s paintings represent a great...
- A Hero and Mythical Creatures: Famous Spiders in Art
- James McNeill Whistler, Portrait of Artist’s Mother (Painting Of The Week)
- 7 Things You Need To Know About Jean-Honoré Fragonard
- Top 5 Zeus’ Lovers and Their Crazy Stories
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Dive Into The World Of Alexander Calder’s Circus
- Picnic Time! Best Picnic Inspirations From Art
- 12 Famous Funeral Paintings of Western Art
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know