Hanna Hirsch-Pauli: Friendship Goals and Feminism in 19th Century Stockholm
Lee Miller – Photographing the ExtremesMarch 12, 2019
Lee Miller (1907-1977) was a model, a fashion photographer, a war photographer, a muse and a gourmet cook. She lived the life to the fullest with all its bright and many dark sides. Always striving for independence and...
Karoliina Hellberg and The New Finnish InteriorsMarch 11, 2019
Karoliina Hellberg is a young Finnish painter who graduated in 2015 from the Academy of Fine Arts in Helsinki. At the moment she has her first solo show at the Didrichsen Art Museum in Helsinki, a part of...
Painting of the Week: Mary Cassatt, Little Girl in a Blue ArmchairMarch 10, 2019
Mary Stevenson Cassatt was an American painter and printmaker. She lived much of her adult life in France, where she became friends with Edgar Degas and later exhibited among the Impressionists as one of “les trois grandes dames”...
The Art of Portraying SistersMarch 9, 2019
March is Women’s History Month, a great time to celebrate sisterhood in all its meanings. It’s not surprising that many artists having sisters, painted their portraits, especially early in the career. They were probably easily available for modelling...
International Women’s Day 2019: Three Unknown Women ArtistsMarch 8, 2019
Happy Women’s Day to all women and men (in the end men should celebrate with us!)!!! I hope that with every passing year the world will be a more hospitable place for all women and that soon we...
AWA Around the World for Women’s DayMarch 7, 2019
Do you remember my post about an unknown Last Supper painted by a woman artist? If you do, the name Advancing Women Artists Foundation will ring a bell, too. They are up and running, and in the run-up to...
Hilma af Klint in the Guggenheim Museum and the Rethinking of Abstract ArtFebruary 27, 2019
I avoided seeing the Hilma af Klint—Paintings for the Future exhibition in New York City for months because I did not like the abstract artwork the Guggenheim used to advertise it. I thought the shapes in the paintings were...
- A Hero and Mythical Creatures: Famous Spiders in Art
- James McNeill Whistler, Portrait of Artist’s Mother (Painting Of The Week)
- 7 Things You Need To Know About Jean-Honoré Fragonard
- Top 5 Zeus’ Lovers and Their Crazy Stories
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Dive Into The World Of Alexander Calder’s Circus
- Picnic Time! Best Picnic Inspirations From Art
- 12 Famous Funeral Paintings of Western Art
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know