Ladies In Red – Famous Red Dresses In ArtMay 26, 2017
Red in art history symbolizes many things. First of all, it was a color of power, status and wealth. Kings, princes and, beginning in 1295, Roman Catholic cardinals began to wear red colored habitus. In medieval painting red...
Birdies, Flowers and Virgins: Real Meanings Of Spring In ArtMarch 28, 2017
Spring is my favourite season and it seems to be a favourite season of many artists throughout history. Is it for its blossoming flowers, singing birds and longer days? Or is it rather for its many symbolic connotations,...
The Best of Leda And A Swan PaintingsFebruary 3, 2017
If you ever see a painting presenting the girl with a swan – it must be Leda. Leda and the Swan is a story from Greek mythology in which the god Zeus, in the form of a swan,...
A Small Guide To Still Life Symbols (Part 2)October 14, 2016
This is the second part of our article about the symbols in 16th and 17th century still lifes from the Netherlands. Read the first part here. So, we are back with our small guide to still life symbols....
The Best Of Judith And Holofernes PaintingsSeptember 27, 2016
Judith and Holofernes is one of the most feminist themes in the history of art. It is a biblical story written in the apocryphal Book of Judith. Judith was a beautiful widow who was upset with her Jewish countrymen for...
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Simonetta Vespucci – The Top Model Of Renaissance
- Klimt’s Unknown Portraits You’d Never Guess Were His
- Pablo Picasso And His Women
- Can You Beat This Beard? – Bearded Paintings From Art History
- Edvard Munch and The Frieze of Life
- Power And Propaganda – The British Royal Portraits
- Six Wives Of Henry VIII In Portraits
- A Study of Loneliness and Isolation: The Man in Blue
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art